Click above for many more images from the show and the making of all the costumes

Come over and visit our Wonderful Wizard Workshop at the Wizard of Oz's Creative Director, Coty Farquhar's blog - Just Click Above We also have a huge following from the USA via all of Coty's readers

SHYAC - Art by Youth for Youth.

SHYAC - Art by Youth for Youth.
Scenes from SHYAC's production of Bugsy Malone 2006, Mittagong Playhouse

SHYAC's production of Footloose 2005, Mittagong Playhouse

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Thank you from Coty Farquhar - Creative Director of the Wizard of Oz

Only yesterday did we finish the final pack up of the Wizard of Oz creative side. With still so many things to do, reports to write, paperwork to do and many items to return, it's nearly over. We have sorted then repacked all the costumes and moved them to Southern Removals at Moss Vale, who have very kindly given SHYAC a storage container - and I say Thank You.
*******
********
All the backdrops and sets have been moved to another container at Chevalier College, who are very kindly letting us store it on their property - and I say Thank you.
********
********
I would like to say a huge thank you to Mrs King and her family for generously giving Andrew and I and SHYAC the use of her three factory units to create all the costumes and sets in for eight weeks. Without their kindness and support and knowing what the last months have been like I can't imagine how we would have done it.. We all say thank you....
**********
***********
Where do I begin to say thank you to all the wonderful people who helped me to create the visual and creative side of the show.
*********
**********
To Paul and Sue McShane - Who twisted my arm soooooo hard to come on board as Creative Director three months ago when all the changes were made with the new committee. Over the last months I have had the most amazing support from both Sue with absolutely everything (even cooking my dinners) and being with me nearly every single day from day one. Paul with his enthusiasm for all of Andrew's and my work and offering help with anything that I needed and Paul's Mother Marcia McShane - who came to the Highlands to sew not only the Two Dorothy Dresses, but many other wonderful costumes pieces. And to Dorothy No.1 Melissa McShane who arrived after many long rehearsals and always offered her help.
Paul McShane - Secretary of the SHYAC really was the wizard behind the show. The marketing and promotion, wonderful and unique ideas that flowed daily, to all the new changes to the committee, the professional experience that he gave to SHYAC and for the wonderful work that he did with the I.M.B. Bank for the amazing grant of $25,000.00 for the future of SHYAC and the Pod Project. When hope was lost, he stepped in and took SHYAC to a place that I imagine no one had ever dreamed of. For introducing our new SHYAC president, Allen Cupitt and for supporting Andrew and me throughout the whole show.
Andrew and I say Thank you........
*************
*************
To Allen Cupitt and his family for incredible support, keeping us all warm in the large factory with a gas heater (which looked and sounded like a rocket). For all his clever welding on bases of the sets and for all his gorgeous modeling (our own live mannequin) of the many costumes. Andrew and I say thank you.
**************
*************
To all the wonderful sewers:
**
Deidre Knowlson, who from day one arrived with sewing machines, fridge, microwave and many other things to keep everyone nourished. Deidre's sewing experience and years running a fabric show was incredible. She gave so much of her time and was always willing to tackle any job that came her way. She was always organising delicious meals for everyone to share and as Grandmother's do, she was always offering her help when someone needed it. The two tin men were amazing, she worked for hours creating them. I especially loved the silver shorts, we laughed and laughed so much over the months and it was wonderful to have her and her family with us. and I say thank you.
***********
********
To Jane Swaverly, (another amazing Grandmother) who arrived one day to help make a skirt for the Emerald City and then stayed right to the end. She was incredible, a very talented sewer and could turn her hand to anything. She was the first to arrive and the last to leave. She was even there yesterday helping with final cleanup of the workshop. She was there with her sewing kit on hand at all the performances, with the vacuum on her back and the broom in the other. Jane also picked up my own washing some days through those wet winter days, as she overhead me saying that my towels were still on the line after five days and she helped me keep my life together as a mother. I take my hat off to Jane, without her support and kindness many of the jobs would not have been done. .............I say thank you.
***************
*************
To Vicki, Tony and Casey Schaefer, where do I begin..... Without them I don't think the visual side of the show would have been anything like is was. Months ago I started collecting all the props and gear needed and Vicki and The Resource Centre at Moss Vale supported SHYAC 100%. I would run through her shop and leave with car and truck loads of gear which were all pulled apart, adapted and changed. All donated to us for the show.... I would call Vicki often looking for something and she would call at the end of the day and say, I found it...... Vicki and Casey helped me sort over 350 children costumes into books with photographs and labels for over 700 items. (She supplied all the labels as well). What a mammoth job it was and I don't think it had ever been done before by SHYAC and they did it so well, it took two whole days for Vicki to do, then my job was easy from there as everything had a label. Vicki gave so much of her time every weekend and we all loved having her there with us, she is so loving and giving. Vicki and Tony also both worked backstage throughout all the shows and looked fabulous in their black roadie gear. Andrew and I say thank you..
***********
***********
To Gail, Michael and Sarah Garner. Gail volunteered to help with sewing and to my wonderful surprise it turned out that Gail is a professional Pattern Sewer. I would do my drawings of the costumes, a scribble here and show her the fabric............two minutes later she had cut a perfect template and she made the amazing Monkey's pants, Guards tops and The Good Witch, Glinda's ruffled collar from a brides veil and more. She is such a kind and special lady and she worked away for many hours in the workshop and her home. Gail's advice was invaluable and the most wonderful and strange thing was that she was able to create exactly what I was imagining in my mind. Michael was also used as a model and Sarah was always helping everyone. I say thank you
**************
**************
To Ron Russell and Mrs Suzanne Jahnsen, Thank you Ron and Suzanne for your wonderful help with the costumes, Ron's drawings and illustrations are amazing and his detail on the costumes exquisite. Thank you Ron for sourcing many wonderful fabrics and gear from your own collections and from the Salvation Army store for Emerald City. It was wonderful to have your experience and help at the last minute. I just want to say how kind you were Ron to be helping SHYAC. I say thank you. We all hope you will support SHYAC again in the future and I can't wait to see your costumes in your next production.
*************
*************
To all the following who gave me am hour here and there to others who gave a day of their time helping with sewing, painting, blinging and cutting, I say thank you. With so much to do in such little time every little bit of help was welcomed. I say thank you..
Carol Bailey, Jan Howe, Andrea Napier, Samantha Bransgrove, Megan Rich, Sandra Glover, Melanie Thuma, Bronwynne Maher, Madeleine Fitzgerald, Alice Carmichael, Mo Obrien, Vicky Lockett, Marda Skepper, Mandy Bransgrove, Mandy's Mother in Law, Morgan Rook, Trisha Glover, Lynne Lindsay, Edna Maher, Duncan Carmichael.
******
*************
To all the wonderful helpers with the painting of the sets, boxes, walls around the band, the construction and building Andrew and I say thank you.
Olivia Fitzgerald, Neil Howe, Andy McMillan,and my Thomas and Bec.
and to Lyndall Heally-Green, where were you in the beginning? Wow, What an amazing Lady, Lyndall arrived in the last weeks of the production and with a paint brush in one hand and scissors in the other she helped with everything from sets to costume repairs at Clubbe Hall. I say thank you.
************
***********
Almost there. To everyone that came and helped with bump out and clean up of Clubbe Hall, it was extraordinary. All the children returned the costumes, helped pack and label the boxes. To the mothers who cleaned and mopped the change rooms and toilets. To everyone that loaded the trucks and moved heavy gear. To everyone that cleaned the hall and vacuumed. It was a special place to be and to have so much support and help from everyone. I say thank you.
***********
************
To Roger Hind and Ruth Lowry from Theatricks Production for the loan of their truck while they took their lighting down, soooooo incredibly kind. Even when they were ready to go and get back to Sydney they let us do one more load to the workshop. Thank you for everything you did for the show. The lighting was amazing, hopefully next time we will have much more time to see what else you have in your magic lighting boxes. Andrew and I say thank you.
**************
***************
To all the children in the show - I loved working with you so much, your beautiful smiling faces were a joy to see each and every day. I was overwhelmed with all the help you all offered me each day and your kind comments. Thank you for the beautiful card, I will treasure it forever. I was so impressed with each and everyone of you, your acting, dancing and performing throughout the couple of weeks at Clubbe Hall was excellent. I have nothing but praise for all of you and you made all the months and months of hard work worthwhile. I know for me and for everyone involved in the costume making it was a very special thing to see you all bring our costumes to life. I will treasure these memories for ever.
**********
************
I know there were many, many other people that worked on the show and thank you, this is just a special thank you to all who were directly linked to me and the creative side of the show.
***********
**************
Last but not least, I want to thank my amazing husband, and partner in all the creative side of the show, Andrew and my two children Thomas (Tom) and Rebecca who helped and supported me throughout the entire time. Without them with me each day, with their many fabulous ideas I would not have been able to do it. Thank you.
***************
*************
I am now off to start something very special, I am the creative director once again for the 2009 Debutante Ball at Chevalier College which I designed at the beginning of the year. I have been working on this job as well as my online magazine throughout the Wizard of Oz production. I have seven weeks left to create all the beautiful decorations and style the enormous gymnasium at Chevalier for 140 debutants and over 650 guests. Sue McShane has volunteered to be with me on this huge event as well and with a new eager committee awaiting for me to arrive and start, I say farewell to The Wizard of Oz cast, crew and committee and I look forward to seeing you all around the Southern Highlands.
*
***
It was a wonderful show
******
*********
**
Creative Director of the Wizard of Oz, SHYAC
*********
*******
*****
***
*

No comments:

Post a Comment






Thank you from Coty Farquhar - Creative Director Costumes and Set Design

Last years production of The Rocky Monster Show, 2008...........more photos below - keep scrolling down - a little scary - but so was the show.......... lots and lots of white makeup and lots and lots of fun



The history of SHYAC - Southern Highlands Youth Arts Coucil

This blog is under construction at present -more to come soon

Scenes from Footloose, 2005. Mittagong Playhouse

The musicians and production crew of SHYAC